Starting a Class
● If it’s your first time using Zoom, visit the Educating Guide: Getting Started on Zoom and complete the steps in advance of your class to get you set up.
● Schedule your class in the Zoom application for your desired date/time and copy the invitation details to send to your students. *Please note that students will not need to register for an account to join.
● Join your class a couple minutes early to ensure a proper connection then follow the below tips for a quality online learning experience.
Tips and Tricks for Virtual Lessons
● For your first class, set aside some time to introduce your students to Zoom and ensure that they’re able to connect their audio and video.
● Give an agenda or plan for each class by Screen Sharing a document or slide at the beginning of class. This gives students a clear idea of how the class will progress, what will be covered, and the activities they’ll engage in.
● Discuss online etiquette and expectations of the students in your first virtual class and periodically revisit the topics.
● Utilize the Whiteboard or Annotate a shared document and let your students engage as well. When sharing a whiteboard, document, screen, or image, try whiteboarding math problems or have a student use annotation to highlight items such as grammar mistakes in a paper you’re sharing.
● Take time to promote questions, comments, and reactions from your class. Give a minute to allow your students to utilize reactions, write their questions in chat, or be unmuted to ask their questions live.